Saturday, August 11, 2007

Phuket

The first thing I've learned on this trip is that it's not a good idea trying to travel to Bangkok on a one way ticket with no return or forwarding flights. Our trip almost didn't even get under way when we tried to check in at the Singapore airport. However, I guess because we were white and I smiled really nicely the agent gave us our boarding passes after talking w/ her manager. Once we arrived in Bangkok, passing though immigration they also wanted to see proof of a return ticket... which it seemed everyone else had... but they did let us though w/ little problem.
After all that the trip got going fine.
We spent 3 nights in Bangkok which was fun. The last time I was there it was fur such a short time I didn't get to explor the city at all. There is a really nice subway and skytrain which make getting around really easy. Cabs tended to try to rip us off though. We managed to book oneway tickets to Phuket for Saturday night where I'll stay 2 nights. I booked litteraly the last ticket back to Singapore for monday night.... I guess I overestimated how easy it would be to get back to Singapore by Monday as I later found out Phuket is really booked because last Thrus was National Day for Singapore and this Monday is a public hodiday in Thailand so everyone is on vacation. At least I'll get back to work by Tuesday so I'll have two days to get things in order to leave again for California!
I been taking a lot of good photos I'll post once I get back

No comments: