Saturday, November 3, 2007

It's begining to feel a lot like:

(select the best answer)
a) Hari Raya Puasa
b) Deepavali
c) Christmas
d) all of the above
e) none of the above

The correct answer is D of course but there have been even more celebrations than these going on recently. In fact, there have been a lot of lights up all over Singapore since September because there is just so much to celebrate in this multicultural melting pot of a city this time of year. Oh, and if you chose E then you're definitely not living in Singapore.

In late September we had the Mid-Autumn Festival, also called the Lantern or MoonCake festival. There are many ways to celbrate this festival I found out including but not limited to "eating moon cakes outside under the new moon" and "putting pomelo rinds on one's head". Then coming up after the calender new year will be Chinese New year or Lunar New Year- the most important holiday in Chinese culture

a) Hari Raya Puasa
This is the Muslim festival marking the end of Ramadan. During this holy month Muslims fast from dawn to dusk then break the feast with family on this holiday with traditional food and delicacies either prepared specially or bought in the neighborhood markets.Late night photos of Hari Raya Puasa decorations in Kampong Glam taken with the camera phone


b) Deepavali
Deepavali is a five day long festival of lights celebrated by Hindus and Jains which symbolizes the victory of good over evil. Because of the large South Indian influnce in Singapore it's called Deepavali while in North India it's called Diwali.Deepavali decorations on Serangoon Road in Little India


c) Christmas
It really is beginning to feel a lot like Christmas around here. I didn't realize how much so until I found my self humming along to "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" walking though Takashimaya yesterday. I didn't even have a second thought about it until I walked out the front door and felt the wave of heat great me. I don't think Singapore's had a white christmas in while. Then again, the weather has been very strange all over the world this year so who knows what could happenThe first christmas tree I've seen this year and it was a big one standing four floors high. Of course the scaffolding is still up since it's still under construction...Orchard Road is already lined with Christmas decorations and they were up earlier this week even before Halloween. When you don't have the Thanksgiving Holiday to hold back the Christmas Season like in the U.S.the Christmas shopping season can start up with little warning. Also it's fit that Orchard Road, perhaps Singapore's ultimate tribute to consumorism, would have Christmas decorations to celebrate whats become the true meaning of the season here- commercialism of course. Buy lah!

extra credit-
If you're asking yourself 'what about that other festival of lights holiday coming up I've heard so much about called Hanukkah' I don't know what to tell you. Maybe the Jews don't have a very strong lobby here. I don't recall seeing any decorations for this holdiday yet but I'll keep and eye out.



Some extra photos of Little India with the Deepavli decorations


No comments: