I'm leaving tomorrow just after noon for Tain, Scotland. Some friends from San Diego and I are renting a glass studio for a week there- the same friends who rented the studio in Bali with me this past January. The world has become so small with such convenient air travel that can put you almost anywhere in the world within a day that I think it's kind of warped my sense of distances and time required to traverse them because recently I got a shock. I purposly chose my flight from Singapore to London to have a direct flight on the A380; it's a 13+ hour flight. Then I'll take a train from London, England to Inverness, Scotland where I'll then have to get either another train or bus (or car)from Inverness to Tain, Scotland. This seamed kind of out of the way when I was initially booking but it only dawned on me that the train ride from London to Inverness takes 12 or more hours, and possibly longer than my flight... I don't know why I'm so surprised... i should realize the difference in speed between air and rail travel. I guess I'd never realized distances in Great Britain- this will be my first time there besides just the airports.
The other surprise I had today was when i looked up a map of Tain.
View Larger Map
It seems like a nice small town... but when I read the scale on the map, the whole town is less than 2km in length, Less than a mile?! That's shorter than the length of Orchard Road in Singapore... I won't say it's going to be exciting staying there for a one week, I also won't say it's going to be boring until I see it... but it should be quiet. and relaxing. and it's close to a lot of Scotch. The Glen Morangie Distillery is just 1 mile from the hotel. I think it should be fun for a week. Then I have one more week before flying back to Singapore from Paris
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment