Sunday, January 11, 2009

back home

After three and a half weeks I've made it back to Singapore after being in Visalia with family since mid December. That's a long time and lot has happened- some good and some not so good, some very happy times and some very sad times as well including Christmas and New Year's, my sister and her husband's wedding anniverary, seeing my niece and watching her behaviour transfrom from eating so much sugar over the course of three weeks, finding out I'll be an uncle by summertime, seeing all my aunts and uncles, cousin and grandfather, my dad's birthday and for those of you who follow his blog you will know what else I'm talking about. Most of all it was good to spend time with so much family- I don't even know how long it's been since we were able to spend so much time together with everyone there.

Visalia is a lot smaller and quieter than Singapore and after being away for three and half weeks I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at being back in this crowded, noisy city. I took a walk tonight to get dinner and there really are people just all over the place. I was also surprised to feel a little uncomfortable or consious about being caucasian surrounded by asians. I think these were feelings I had after first moving here and they should go away again quickly after I get used to this city life.