It's been just over a week since I've returned to Singapore from San Diego and Sacramento but only just yesterday did I receive my welcome back present. After returning home from work and changing to go on a run I realized my running shoes were missing. Normally I keep most of my shoes outside my door which should be safe since it's a gated condo building and there should be no other people passing by my door since the elevator only serves two apartments- Mine and my neighbor's who is only there a few weeks a year...but it seems it's not as safe as I used to believe since someone came in and stole my Nike's.
The most bothering thing is there's nothing I can do. After talking with some Singaporeans it seems this is pretty common and I got no empathy. After talking with the building grounds keeper he assured me no one could have made it passed the locked gate to steal my shoes and even if they did that my shoes would be too big for any Asian to wear so no one would have stolen them though I don't find this logic especially sound. I wasn't reassured and re-pointed out that someone obviously had made is passed the gate and stolen them since they were missing.
What miserable people to wander outside peoples’ doors stealing their shoes. And now I feel miserable that I have to keep all my shoes inside my door. At least I didn’t have my shoes robbed on the street at knife or gun point while I was wearing them like I’d heard about years ago in LA (the odds of which should be extremely low, though) - no, I really doubt that would ever happen in Singapore! Instead everyone here just knows and accepts that if you’re naïve (or stupid?) enough to leave your shoes outside your door you deserve to have them stolen.
Friday, February 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
interesting...i always put my shoes inside of my house. i don't think i would even have the desire to keep my shoes outside of my house.
nathan
Post a Comment