Thursday, February 15, 2007

Return to Singapore

I got in to Singapore this morning after a very long trip. In all the total time from leaving San Diego to arriving in Singapore was over 24 hours and the way the time zones and international dates lines worked this week really did fly by since I missed all of Wednesday and Thursday. Back in the States I was in Oregon at work for most of the trip. I did get to have some fun though. I made a quick stop at the Edgefield Distillery which is something I'd wanted to do for a while. Last summer my friend Dave had taken a road trip w/ his family north into Oregon and Washington and they brought some of the whiskey back. It was really good... being that it was from a micro-still and all. I found out that they have also been making a gin, different brandies, now a coffee-liquor, and at one point they made a grappa but discontinued it since it didn't do much for the discerning Oregonian tastes... In addition to the micro still, the McMenamin brothers have a winery, a brewery, a hotel, concert venue and golf course on the Edgefield site. They have different bars, restaurants and theaters throughout the Northwest.

Then last Friday I flew down to Sacramento to stay w/ my brother and his wife. My other little brother was there as well since he’s now studying law at UC Davis and my cousin w/ her boyfriend flew in from Vegas to join us. Tahoe had been having a very bad year for snow but I had faith a big storm would blow in to give some fresh snow. And that’s exactly what happened. For whatever reason it seems every time I go to Tahoe a big storm comes in and it usually makes for bad snowboarding conditions. There were some conflicting reports about how much snow there was but it was at least a couple feet and it was a lot of fun.. On Sunday we went to Amador County for wine tasting which is always an adventure… especially since I had to fly to San Diego that night. I’ve found that wine tasting then flying usually makes for seemingly short flight times and this was no exception.
The time in San Diego went fast. Surprisingly I didn’t have any Mexican food which is strange because I’ve really wanted a carne asada or California burrito since I arrived here in Singapore.

Now that I’m back, Lunar New Year celebrations are just starting. This will start the year of the boar. I won't celebrate it here in Singapore though since I'm planning on leaving tomorrow morning for Batam, Indonesia. After all the cold rain and snow I had in Oregon and California I'm going to relax on a nice warm beach.

No comments: