I'm an expat now. This term seems to be unfamiliar with many who haven't lived overseas recently. It's short for expatriate, and contrary to many people's beliefs, I'm living in Singapore, not China. While this seemed to be a big point of contention while I was back in California during the end of August, there is really no debating it. Singapore is a country until itself which has in less than 100 years changed from a small fishing village and sailor's stop over to become Uniquely Singapore - one of the most densely populated 1st world nations on earth. And as such, it has, amongst other things, its own magazine called Expat Living.
On Monday, Chris, my coworker who is also an 'expat' here and also on contract from the San Diego office, and I went for coffee like we normally do mid-morning. As we were waiting for the barristas to make our drinks-americanos, his with an extra shot of espresso since he wishes he were Italian, we started flipping though the magazines laid out on the bar as we normally do. I was reading Expat Living Singapore. After flipping though the pages showing all the posh restaurant reviews, interviews with hedge fund managers and their wives, and luxury watch ads, I commented to Chris, "I definitely do NOT think I'm living the 'expat lifestyle.'" He agreed without a second thought. I continued to scan the pages, then just a minute later as flipped past a page I immediately turned back it. "Hey, that's me!" "yeah, that's you. You're very photogenic." It was a picture of me and friends at a one year anniversary party of a bar I like in the "society" section. Hmm... "I guess I am living the expat life."
It's easy to let life fly by unappreciated, always looking for something more exciting. I've had mixed feelings about living here in Singapore for the past 9 months, never really feeling like it was home and that it was just temporary, like my life was on hold for 3 years until I got back to San Diego. However, after being back in California this last time I found myself surprised how ready I was to get back to Singapore. California and San Diego did not feel like home anymore and I definitely felt like I was just visiting and that my home was in Singapore. For all the frustrating things about the people and government here it felt good to get back to my own apartment and my own bed where I could relax. The concept of home has really changed.
Tuesday, September 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
As Joe would say - "That is a bunch of a crap"... it is OK to admit you miss good ol' California. Or are you saying you are gone forever like Sam - just another lost "expat"?
Normally, I would say "it's a bunch of crap" but once you see James in Singapore, you realize that he really is an expat even if he wouldn't admit it back in August!
Post a Comment