Thursday, October 4, 2007

Bangkok and Phuket

Finally I'm getting around to posting on the Bangkok/Phuket trip I took with Joe way back in August while he was out here visiting. I think I said before, but it turned out to be easy enough to get into Bangkok with a one way ticket even though it's posted that you need one (technically I think you don't need the return ticket if you can show sufficient funds allowing you to get out of the country... I think $300 USD). This again goes to show how easy travel is with a US passport. I had a Chinese friend travel to Bangkok just a few days after I returned and even though she had a return ticket, the immigration still hassled her and wanted her to show she had enough money to leave. Apparently traveling with a Chinese passport is very difficult, though I've heard and Indonesian passport makes it even more difficult. Once we arrived in Bangkok and figured out what we wanted to see we bought flights into Phuket and return tickets back to Singapore.

Bangkok was a lot of fun, and there's a lot to see. The last time I was there I was only on Khao San Road near the grand palace so I didn't get to see much of the city at all. I was impressed by how modern it was.... I was also surprised by how bad the traffic was. I think one day we made the mistake of taking a cab back to the hotel which was only about 9km but it took almost one hour. The skytrain and subway are a much better way to get around the city and they're just as nice as Singapore's. Also, Joe has a pretty distant relative there and we were able to meet up with him and his family a few times.

Some Photos!

A kitten! Stray cats in Asia seems to be everywhere you go

Some Squid!?

The Grand Palace




Khao San Road - backpacker central
eating some street food. pad thai noodles for 20 bhat... that's like 60 cents!

I guess Joe likes it?...

This seems more like the "street food" Joe likes...


We took a day tour of the floating market. It's famous and it actually ended up being much more fun than I expected

"The Target"
I think Joe must have been targeted by almost every vendor on the floating market. He must have that 'high roller' look so people knew he was ready to spend. He's finally successful in getting this one to stop selling by saying "Haha. Ask him. Ask him, over there!" pointing to me of all people!! I must have looked poor though because no one was hassling me... I only bought some grilled bananas and a coconut.




Joe demonstrates some bargaining skills while buying some souvenirs. The calculator is a very useful tool when you have no idea how to speak the language

"That's crap! Here's my final offer, just let me type it into this calculator here, he-he..."
"Wow, she accepted it. Sucker! I must be such a good bargainer... all those years of selling cars, he-he. What else do you have there, miss?"
"Yes, I need that folding hat as well..." Unfortunatly, Joe later found out he had bargained the lady all the way down to the starting price of the same things at the gift shop just off the floating market.

He's at it again...

100% business

Me w/ some grilled bananas

The Jim Thomson House




Chatuchak Weekend Market


I usually feel okay eating street food but I dared not eat this. I think it's pork, held at room temp until the momement you order- at which point he chops it up and serves it to you. I guess it's safe because this one was busy

Before we knew it the time in Bangkok was over and we were on our way to Phuket. I took the blank look to mean that he was adjusted well to Thailand (never mind it's a Vietnamese hat)

Phuket

This seems like a really typical scene of Thailand. I think it's the verticle neon flourescent tubes... I always associate this with Thailand for some reason

Patong Beach city limits, and a dog

BangLa street. very famous in Phuket

Some good Thai food

The famous MaYa Beach used in the film "the beach"

I'm on MaYa beach

It get's to be way too crowded as all the other tour boats arrive.

Thai beaches do have some other nice views though...

No comments: