Saturday, March 29, 2008

change is the only constant

Being away from Singapore for three weeks was a long time, and it seems longer than I expected it would. I never really thought about it before but change can happen very quickly- and sometimes unless you're away and comeback you might not even notice it. Besides seeing a few new floors completed on the condo being built next door I noticed some other changes as well. Also the price of cabs surprised me as well even though the fares had increased before I left- having arrived after midnight, I had to pay the 50% surcharge and the $3 airport surcharge. The total taxi bill came out to $24 which seems very expensive, but then again it's very cheap compared to most other cities. Walking around town yesterday I saw a lot more graffiti than I ever remember and it was mostly right out in the open. I also saw two apparently homeless bums sleeping on the side walks, also something that I recall seeing maybe once over the last year I’ve been here. Is Singapore really changing or am I just being more observant of things around me?

And then, some things stayed the same. The noise from those two construction sites next door to my apartment is still very loud. The taxi driver from the airport thought I was from Italy or France and couldn't believe I was from California. For some reason this happens a lot- people think I'm German, Swiss, French and god forbid even Australian. I don't know why. one person even thought my accent sounded South African! no one else agreed with that though. Also, the conniving taxi drivers have not changed here either. The one I took yesterday ripped me off, taking me though a separate toll area for no reason as it wasn't a short cut and it was not even the route I told him. Its times like that when their English skills suddenly deteriorate very quickly...I guess it's the best way to disarm a verbal conflict. The escaped terrorist Mas Selamat bin Kastari has still not been captured after having escaped from prison before I left for San Diego. There's really not much news about it anymore. I guess people will forget about it soon. An official report being carried out on how the escape happened, estimated to take one month, should be out soon though I doubt it will actually be released.

Overall it feels good to be back in Singapore, in my own apartment and sleeping in my own bed again. I just need to get some food for the fridge because I’m starving.

This made me try to think about what had been different in San Diego since it had been 6 months since the last time I was there. Actually nothing really jumped out at me as different which is strange. A lot of the construction on the highways that plagued my morning and evening commutes was finished and one of the bars I liked that made really good cocktails has deteriorated in quality- the Old-Fashioned I used to like there was now horrible (actually the same thing had happened in Singapore at a new bar that had opened just around the corner from my place. When it opened, the bartenders were great and they made really nice cocktails, they really knew what they were doing which I think is extra nice here in Singapore since you’re paying about $10USD for a drink. I've almost giving up on ordering mixed drinks anywhere here because either the carbonation is flat in the mixer or it's some super sweet juice mixed in with the carefully measured amt of liquor. The last time I went there, the bar staff had been replaced literally by idiots, a conclusion I based on an experience while ordering a drink. I had ordered and easy drink which was even on their bar list- Cuba Libre- nothing fancy right, and he didn’t know how to make it. After asking the other bartender who told him to look it up since he was bartender too. I ended up having to tell him how to make it and he still messed it up, dumping in an outrageous amount of lime juice instead of just a dash.) I don't know, maybe it's hard to say since the time went so fast there and I didn't really see much of the city. I’m not sure this paragraph makes much sense either. In conclusion, In San Diego it was great to see old friends and catch up.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, it's not a big rant I'm on about Singapore or change on about how things were 'back in the day.' Besides, I read The Secret while in Sedona and now I'm only thinking positive thoughts so only positive outcomes will be attracted to me. Sure, it sounds crazy but it's working. I experienced several otherwise improbable occurrences which I'm attributing to my positive thinking. I won't get in to all of them but here's just one example- when I flew from Phoenix to Portland it was a late flight scheduled to arrive around 11pm and I didn't want to be wasting a lot of time at the airport. So I was really trying to imagine my luggage being off the belt first so I could get out to the rental car and on the road. You know, ‘using the secret.’ I was also hoping for a Mustang convertible for the car but actually not so much for the convertible since I knew it would be cold in Oregon and I probably wouldn't get to put the top down. So what do you know? once the baggage starts up, mine is the third bag on it which has never happened. Thanks very much. Picked it and went out to get my rental car which had been assigned as a Mercury Grand Marquee. Obviously that wasn’t going to work. So I walked back to the desk and the guy there said I could have a Mustang (hardtop) for the same rate. One of the most important parts to the Secret is being thankful for everything you have and really spending time to acknowledge that thanks. Regardless of all the other talk about the Secret or Law of Attraction I think this is important just for living a happy and fulfilled life.

2 comments:

J said...

hahah...nice.

What are you secretly wishing for you next?

David Andrew said...

I tried it once too. I spent a whole hour wishing for warm beer. Then, at the end of the hour, my beer was warm :)