Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Happy Birthday, USA!

It's the 4th! and I didn't see any fireworks here to celebrate it!
It was just 231 years ago that our forefathers signed the United States Declaration of Independence declaring the independence from the Kingdom of Britain. Too much tax on the tea put them over the edge, and now after all these years I'm paying too much tax on beer and hanging out with the Brits here in Singapore. I'm already independent of Singapore here though so I'm not going to revolt or anything drastic like that. I was surprised today that the coffee stand people at work were the ones who wished me a happy Independence day (they're all Malaysian). The one guy said he remembered it was today because July also had his birthday and Earth Day... I wasn't too sure about that but I went along with it. I think he was talking about Live Earth this Saturday but I didn't correct him since he makes a good cofee (I think they all think it's funny that my co-worker and I order Americanos).

I think the American Club here was having a party to celebrate the 4th this past weekend. I saw an invitation for it saying you couldn't bring in any coolers and bags would be searched for security reasons... that really sounded like about the last way I'd want to celebrate freedom.
Singapore's Birthday is coming up on August 9th (national day). There will be a very big celebration for that... but I'm planning to be in Vietnam during that celebration.

I'm leaving to Koi Samui tomorrow night until Sunday. I'm looking forward to relaxing.

2 comments:

NMPingel said...

I think having bags searched is definitely american -- can't remember last time going to a concert without having them searched. The pat down is america.
in fact. how is this different than firework accessibility -- before tax on tea, but all could have bottle rockets - now, no tax on tea, and the flowers last 4 sec.

J said...

I had beer and fireworks for 4th of July, jealous? ;p