Saturday, December 1, 2007

1st Singapore Thanksgiving

Well, it was my first Singapore Thanksgiving at least. We celebrated last Saturday since we didn't get the Thursday off work and it was a lot of fun. We had a lot of food: turkey, ham, gravy, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, cornbread, pumpkin pie, cranberries, cranberry salad, desserts, wine... pretty much everything required for sharing a big meal. I think everything turned out really well but the turkey didn't brown like it should have- this was the first time I had used that oven and there's something not right about it. I think it only broils instead of bakes... but it was done and it tasted good. My apartment was pretty full, too, and not having an actual dining table posed a bit a challenge to having a big thanksgiving dinner but we managed.

The biggest challenge without the central table was having the thanksgiving prayer so instead we did it after dinner but before we had dessert. This being the first thanksgiving for a lot of my friends I felt obligated to follow at least some tradition and have everyone say something they were thankful for over the past year- so to make it as painless as possible we all wrote something down on a scrap of paper and then everyone drew one to read and we had one big collaborated statement of thanks. I think it worked out well.


assistant chefs checking the bird

carving the turkey is a serious job

the food

lots of dessert

the group photo

No comments: