I'm very excited because today I found out that Marks & Spencer sells food. Very, very good looking food which is very exciting. I also like their packaging so I can't wait to try the food.
It's been a while since I posted an update but other than this discovery there have been some things going on. Last Sunday was Mother's Day and there was a concert in the Botanical Garden which I went to (Happy Mother's Day, mom!).
Last Friday I saw my first movie in a theater here. Singaporeans watch a lot of movies... maybe it's the 3rd national pastime after shopping and eating. At the box office you get assigned seats before you go in to the theater so you know exactly where to go. How convenient indeed... you avoid the hassle of actually trying to find a seat once you get into the theater; like you don’t have to think about it at all. Will Ferrell and Jon Heder provided command performances in Blades of Glory

It's been a while since I posted an update but other than this discovery there have been some things going on. Last Sunday was Mother's Day and there was a concert in the Botanical Garden which I went to (Happy Mother's Day, mom!).
Last Friday I saw my first movie in a theater here. Singaporeans watch a lot of movies... maybe it's the 3rd national pastime after shopping and eating. At the box office you get assigned seats before you go in to the theater so you know exactly where to go. How convenient indeed... you avoid the hassle of actually trying to find a seat once you get into the theater; like you don’t have to think about it at all. Will Ferrell and Jon Heder provided command performances in Blades of Glory
This past Friday I saw A Midsummer's Night Dream. It was shown outside on the lawn at Ft. Canning Park which is just around the corner from my place. I was a little weary about how Shakespearian English would come across in Singapore but it was actually very good.
I've also been spending a lot of time at the Mitre Hotel lately. I'll have to write a seperate posting about this place but it's one of the biggest dive bars, likely in whole world. It's technically not a bar since I don't think there is actually a licence and technically not a hotel anymore since there is not longer a license for that either. So it's just called the Mitre. It really looks like a haunted house and it's not marked from the street where you have to walk down a long dark driveway to get there. Probably one of the oldest black and whites in Singapore... definitily the oldest that hasn't been renovated. Rumored to share a border with Lee Kwan Yew's house. It's in a prime location right off Orchard Road and a short walk from my place and the property has been rumored to be worth over $100M and has been more of an urban legond to most Singaporeans I've talked with who didn't think it really existed. Well it does exist and it actually just sold after decades of legal dispute and the price was reported at $100M. It's now a matter of time before it's torn down to build luxury condos (which the land is zoned for). It's never clear how much the beers will cost since I think I've paid $4, $5 or $6 depending on the night...
After the long walk up the drive way, it appears.
And... last week the mosquito control forces came to the hood and sprayed...something. This smoke was everywhere. They come around about once a month and spray everywhere that has dirt basically. Actually Dengue Fever is up about 30% this year from what I've read so mosquito control is serious. Yeah, Asia's Full On! As the signs around the island say "if they breed, you will bleed"
No comments:
Post a Comment