Sunday, October 14, 2007

german potato salad

For some reason I thought pork belly is the same thing as bacon, but I found out today it's not. Pork belly looks like bacon- Like one really thick piece of bacon, so I bought it for the german potato salad I'm making since it's oktoberfest time (actually it should be over by this time of october but they are still celebrating it here in Singapore). As soon as I sliced up all the belly and fried it up I knew there was definitely a difference between it and bacon. Bacon is made from pork belly but it doesn't taste like it at all. Bacon is smoked. Bacon is much better and while many people believe that adding bacon will make anything taste better, I think few would say the say the same for pork belly. So the hot german potato salad did not come out that well. It's a good thing I was just making a test batch today to try out some of the ingredients I had to sub in since I couldn't find all the correct ones here. Okay, actually the only thing I couldn't find were Yukon Gold potatoes so I had to use Russet.

The dressing. Wheat beer, cider vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt, pepper and pork belly fat. No bacon fat, lor. The pork belly seemed surprisingly lean when I cooked it despite all the fat that's in it. There was really no grease left over like you get when you cook bacon.


the final product



It turned out okay. I need to use bacon when I make it next week though.

No comments: