Wednesday, October 17, 2007

that's hot

Good Mexican food is hard to come by in Singapore. It's nothing like San Diego where no matter where you go you're never more than 50 feet from some sort of vendor (Roberto's, Gualberto's, Aleiberto's, Adalberto's, Gualbertos's II, El Cotixan, Juanita's, Sombrero's or Joeblowberto's). There are some things I just can't get here and one of them are the spicy carrots found at most of these places. Last Monday I made my second batch of spicy carrots- they're getting better. Okay, lah! it's not that hard but it is hard to find jalapeno peppers here so I'm trying to substitute with what I can which makes it hard to get the taste right (or the way they should taste). The first time I just used green chili's... not very spicy, more like a serrano pepper but still a different taste. It tuned out okay, not that great because I think I used way too much vinegar. For this batch, I didn't really plan out the ingredients at all and made it with just whatever I had. I found that I didn't have any onions (that weren't already rotten) so I decided to use garlic instead, like 15 cloves. I also used chili padi for the peppers which are more than 10 times hotter than jalapeno on the Scouville scale (used to quantify, pretty subjectivley, just how hot something is...mainly it's used for peppers though) but it's a completely different taste. I think I used between 20 and 30, leaving some whole and chopping most up really fine. And this time I used just under half as much vinegar. They turned out pretty good. The chili padi make it more spicy.... it's more like Thai spicy carrots.

No comments: