Saturday, October 6, 2007
Want, ah?
Some things I just don't get. Still half asleep this morning, I walked downstairs and across the street to buy some eggs at the grocery store. Walking up to the door I noticed a nice road bike sitting there unlocked then noticed the rider (I'm assuming) just inside at the bakery counter continuously peering nervously out from the counter as he was waiting for his order. First, I found it odd that he was on a ride alone in the middle of the city so late in the morning, and second I thought it was weird that he was buying the cheap breads and pasties they sell at the bakeries here while he was on a ride. They're pretty much just sugar and white flour bundles of empty calories...but they're cheap. I'm almost at the door, still trying to resolve the strange scene, still walking in a half daze when this old uncle scares the hell out of me holding some kind of black bird (smaller than a pigeon), still alive, by the wings. Holding it out to me, I think he says something like "Want, ah?!" ... What the hell? This is just some kind of bird he caught? where? how? did he want me to eat it? or keep it as a pet? was he selling it? how did he catch it?--maybe it was sick? maybe it had bird flu? was it sick? was he sick? what a freak. He looked very pleased with himself. This was at a grocery store in the middle of the city, not in a wet market or out in some village. I couldn't respond. Giving him a confused look I continued walking into the store and safety. I definitely did not want ah. Looking back, he was hanging out there at the entrance for a few minutes offering it to others with a smile of satisfaction. Maybe it was just a dream.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment